Friday, December 2, 2011


I seem to be on a video games bag kick. My latest project: a Space Invaders clutch purse. It's currently a work in progress because I'm having some trouble acquiring the hardware I need for the wrist strap.

I love sewing. I can't stop. I keep inventing more things for myself to sew. Hopefully I'll be able to make a trip up to Berkeley one of these days so I can get some fabric for a dress and some pillow fabric for my couch, instead of coming up with not as useful projects. I know I've said this before, but I find pattern construction so interesting. I love seeing how everything is laid out and assembled to hide the seams and make the finished project.

Some new things I'm tackling with this bag:
  • Using different types of fabric. This pattern actually called for satin, but I went with cotton and corduroy. The bag is lined with "lining fabric" too.
  • Aligning the pattern. The Space Invaders print has very clear lines, and I wanted to try matching them up as much as possible, at least on corresponding pieces. So I'm making the front and back of the bag match, and the front and back of the flap match.
  • A different type of closure. Here, it's a magnetic circle closure.
  • Interfacing! I'm using two different types of interfacing in this bag. So I decided to write a little bit about what I discovered.
Because the pattern was designed for satin, it calls for sewable interfacing. I really wanted to give sewable a try, despite the fact I switched to cotton fabric. However, I either didn't read the measurements correctly or didn't think before cutting and only had enough to reinforce 3 out of the four pieces of my pattern. Oops. I used fusible for the 4th piece. But, I made that piece the underside of the flap in case it turned out bubbly and wrinkly.

I pressed the hell out of that piece. I went with advice I read in a blog and used a damp cloth and a dry iron. I pressed the iron down hard on the cloth over my piece and kept it there until the cloth was dry. Then I moved on to the next spot, until the whole cloth was dry. I waited until my fabric was cool, then flipped it over and pressed the other side with the steam setting on my iron.

It actually turned out well-- no bubbles! I guess my problem with those other projects was just impatience. Looking at both sides of the flap, you can't really tell the difference between the two types of interfacing. However, on the other parts of the clutch which have sewable, there is a lot more movement in the fabric. I guess that makes sense because the interfacing is only attached along the edges of each piece. I can see how you might use each interfacing in different contexts. I don't really have pictures because you can't see the difference - it's more of a feel. In the future, if I make more of these, I'm definitely going with a stiffer interfacing (the clutch is a little floppy), and will probably stick with fusible if the fabric will support it.

No comments:

Post a Comment