Saturday, March 10, 2012

GOOD Art Challenge: Update 1

Did you know March is National Craft Month? I don't know who decided this, but I wish I had known ahead of time so I could properly celebrate. I guess there's still a few weeks left...

Anyway. Here is my first update on the GOOD 30 Day Art Challenge. What have I done so far? Not much! Life has been busy. But here are a few things I think I can count towards the project:

24. Add an art blog's RSS feed to your reader.
I do this one constantly. It's great when you find someone who's creative and blogs semi-regularly because it's like a little dose of inspiration every time they post. I'd like to share some of the blogs/sites I have on my reader.

First is Shaun Kardinal. Shaun is an artist who makes some really beautiful and interesting embroidery work. He embroiders geometric shapes and patterns onto pictures and common objects (like postcards and TV guides). Really cool stuff, reminds me of spirograms.


Next is Allison Patrick, who maintains a blog called the "3 R's". She does a lot of projects that relate to creative reuse and recycling, which have a special place in my heart. She also make creative lamps and has a store on Etsy.


The last feed I'm going to mention is Jeannie Huang's design blog, "Jeannie Jeannie: Design Finds for the Creative Eye". She's an awesome curator, and I have to resist the urge to pin everything she posts on my Pinterest boards. Here's a recent favorite of mine (food Pantone squares!).


I love discovering new artists and sources of inspiration, so please share any great sites you follow in the comments!


26. Send a friend a link to your favorite artist's work.
Since I'm sharing some of my favorite blogs, I figure I should share some of my artists too. These artists are two that constantly inspire me and I hope will inspire you as well.

First is Andy Goldsworthy (wikipedia, site). I first discovered him in college when I was trying to find an artist to use as inspiration for a design project. I had to design a pen in the style of another artist. I ended up going with Uglydolls - maybe not an "artist" per say, but they have a very distinctive style. Funnily enough, one of my classmates did choose Andy Goldsworthy and froze a pen in an icicle.

Anyway, Goldsworthy makes art out of nature. His work has a real sense of humor (at least to me) - he creates these very unnatural patterns and structures out of natural objects. Looking at his stuff always makes me laugh (can you imagine coming across something like this on a hike?!), and therefore makes me happy.

His website has much fewer pictures than a google search will bring up. Here are some great ones:




One last Andy Goldsworthy story! I lived in the Presidio of San Francisco at the same time he was installing his piece, the Spire (not one of my favorites, unfortunately). At that time, he was apparently hanging around the Presidio and making all these little installations along the trails. Wish I had known! I heard about the piece towards the end of its construction and went up to see it, jumping over the fence since it wasn't quite finished. I saw the spire and was a little disappointed, but I also saw all these little log pieces balanced on top of each other. Perhaps he was playing around with them? Made my day!


Favorite artist #2 is Yulia Brodskaya (wikipedia, website). She does a bunch of illustration and print design, but the most jaw-dropping awe-inspiring work of hers is her quilling. I was never interested in quilling until I saw these photos.


Can you believe this was made with little strips of paper? Such amazing texture and detail! I'm having trouble copying images from her portfolio, but I implore you to check it out here. Below are some more pics I found on google:




I don't even know how some of these are possible. Simply incredible. Have any artists that particularly inspire you? Feel free to post links in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment